Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 - A Year of Love


As 2012 is coming to an end I can't help but reflect on this past year like many typically do. And as I process what this year has meant to me, I am thankful to say that it definitely brings many fond memories. In January 2012, I turned 25. While I wasn't looking forward to turning a quarter century old, I must say that my 25th year might be one of my favorites. I'm not exactly sure why either. There isn't one distinct thing about this year that makes it one of the best. But there are definitely a bunch of things combined that make it so memorable.

I was trying to think of what the theme of my life for 2012 would be. I think every year for the past 5 or so years has been a theme of growth. I think that is definitely still a theme of this year as well. Positive growth. I think the kind of growth experienced combined with a few first time experiences are what make this year so special. 

One of my firsts this year was an exciting first! David and I went on our first cruise! Neither one of us had ever had this experience so it was awesome being able to do this together. So we packed our bags and drove to South Carolina where we were able to first visit with our dear family of the south. Our time spent with them this year was so special. After a few days with our family, we headed to Charleston. My very first time in this beautiful, beautiful city. We just had one night there before our cruise ship set sail, but that one night was fantastic. I could have walked those brick roads for days staring and observing every minute detail of the city. I love just sitting here thinking about it. I can't wait to hopefully go back there someday. Then the cruise! I was actually terrified of entering that big ship, but after the first 5 five minutes or so, I was in love. David and I set sail to the Bahamas and loved every single second of it. 

Then shortly after returning home from our vacation, we did another first. We got a cat. So for any animal lovers out there, you may understand how much just adding a little kitten to our lives was just the greatest thing ever. Haha I don't think either of us expected to fall in love with Sandi as much as we have. Since we don't plan on having any little Hopkins babies running around anytime soon, Sandi quickly became like our little child. Lol it's ridiculous....we know. 

We also had another first of moving into our first house. Since being married, we have lived the apartment life. We absolutely loved our first home and have so many awesome memories in our apartment. But we really wanted to be in a little house. So we searched for months for the perfect place and in November we moved. And we love it. Although we are still renting, it just feels like our own little home. 

Then came what possibly might be the highlight of my 2012. Well lets just say it definitely is the highlight of my 2012. David and I decided to take vacation the week of thanksgiving. We went back and forth on whether we would go away on vacation, but ultimately decided that we wanted to just relax at home and have a nice stay-cation. And I sure am thankful that we did. Because on the first weekend of our vacation, I had the privilege to meet two sisters for the first time. These special people and I have a personal story that I don't think is right to release to the big bad Internet full of judgement. But to leave out this important detail of 2012 for me would be like trying to make myself not blink again - it's impossible. The biggest thing to take away from this is knowing that in this moment of meeting these two women, I saw unconditional love at its finest. And for me, it was like staring at two miracles in my life. It was unbelievable. 

So from here might be good for me to reflect on how I've grown this year. And I think the biggest area of growth for me has been that of love and how to love with an unconditional love. As I get older, I've learned how truly important love is and the relationship that comes with it.  I don't want to look back and regret. It's completely changed how I view the relationships that I have. While I have no where near perfected understanding all that love encompasses, I think I have been able to start unraveling its wondrous complexities. I have been blessed to see broken relationships in my life start to mend over this past year. I also been blessed to see relationships already full of love (i.e. my husband and I's relationship) grow in even more love that I didn't know was possible. And I've been able to see what it's like to start new relationships and the love that comes with that. It's incredible.

So with 2012 coming to a close, I'm thankful to say I'm thankful. I truly am. I don't deserve this life. And yet here I am. I'm excited to see what lies ahead. Ugh even if that means I'll soon be 26 and that much closer to 30 haha!

On a final note, I think my I'll start my motto of 2013 to be - "Choose to love." Because it certainly hasn't failed me yet.

Happy New Year everyone! (All 5 of you that might read this. Lol)




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! GREAT blog!

NotablyNeurotic said...

2 sisters? My goodness! What a huge surprise to us readers! I completely understand and respect why you don't want to go into details about the story, though I'd love to hear it sometimes. But wow ... what an awesome blessing! :)

Post a Comment